Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day Twenty – Chasing the Dawn

Although we are not leaving until 7 PM, the day flies by quickly repacking, viewing the pictures of Rick and Judith’s 6 year Dreamweaver cruise and a then a final “bit of a wander” with Rick around the property that is now his “deck.” Kris and I express our deep gratitude to Ray and Ann for making our trip so complete and all encompassing. Kris reminds Ray of their exchange three weeks ago when he asked what she wanted to see in NZ and she told him “everything.” He tersely replied, “Lady, I’m over eighty years old and even I haven’t seen “everything.” But on the contrary, we feel as though we have missed nothing thanks to him and his exquisite route map. A tearful parting over a glass of wine at the airport with Rick and Judith and then off to the second deck of direct flight NZ 6, a Boeing 747. The last time I was on the second deck of a 747 it was on a TWA plane and the second deck was a piano bar. Times change and now I’m displaying my advancing years once again. This second deck is half beds and half quite comfortable seats. Service was excellent and that included the meals. US Customs agents in LA were actually friendly. And that is a FIRST for me.

Since this will be the last of these reports to my son and friend Peg, I thought I might briefly sum up a few salient points about this fascinating country. Fuel is far more expensive than I had expected whether it is for your car OR your tummy. Much more so than I budgeted but then who ever stays within a budget on vacation? The people were exceedingly friendly regardless of which Island, City or Café one might happen to wander through. However, do NOT mention that you have friends in Auckland. Regardless of their apologies about the quality of NZ seconds, I found everything to be first class. Every public bathroom was spotless, signs easy to read and easier to understand. If the sign suggests a speed on the curve of 15 km per hour, BELIEVE it. I also now know that when a NZ map shows a coast road, it will rarely be in sight of the actual coast. When the map shows a straight line it will be lying. Do not look at a topographic map unless your heart is in excellent condition. I have learned that a bike can go uphill as well as down, a fact I was never aware of in Santa Monica Bay. (I feel no urgent need to test out this particular new nugget of knowledge but I am happy to pass it along.) When the menu says lamb, it really IS. I have observed that every store on every street in every city on both Islands has an overhang that covers the sidewalk, and have further deduced that it is not there to protect you from the sun. There is a reason why this country is green. I have learned that NZ Possum fur is warm and easily combined with Merino wool to make exceedingly expensive scarves and sweaters. In three weeks of driving mountain roads I read many signs warning of rocks on the road but never saw a single one. The road crews are magnificent with rock fall but their job description does not include picking up dead Possum road kill of which I stopped counting when I reached a thousand. I know that the possum is a nocturnal animal but don’t rocks sometimes fall in the night as well?

I am convinced digital cameras are the downfall of quality photography. When bytes are free, one’s trigger finger grows a callus. 96.37% of digital vacation photos should be deleted not copied. I took 791 photos, Kris snapped 368 plus I took about two minutes of video of the baby seals. Our photos of course, do not fall within the purview of my previous statement. I will edit same and include some with an edited and corrected version of the transcript from these past days. Anyone masochistic enough to wish a copy, contact me and I will forward a PDF file. My publisher is hoping there will be three or four salvageable paragraphs but I have warned her not to hold her breath. Special thanks to all of you who have read these missives for letting me into your private time. The granting of one’s time is far and away the most valuable gift of all. May the wind always be at your back, may the sun warm your face all your days and may every one of your dawns be sunny. RK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magical. Thank you for taking the time and loaning all of us your talents with writing, Roger. I've never been anywhere by the NZ airport to change planes, and I didn't have quite the experience you and Kris had. You sharing of the journey expands my horizons. I hope to see your PDF one of these days!

Andy

Anonymous said...

And so I experience the awe of Roger's courage in being a writer. For me, the trauma of having to face the rest of eternity with a typo in my previous blog seems insurmountable.

My hat's off to you, Roger.

Andy